2019年度 SDGs関連研究補助制度 採択課題
This research considers the status of gender from the perspectives of linguistics and philosophy. The main goals are twofold:
- i) to examine the linguistic reflexes associated with various genders and pronoun choice from a formal perspective, using the tools of logic, probability theory, and game theory
- ii) to carry out a philosophical investigation of aspects of gender and feminism, including the nature of transgender experience, epistemological strategies for minimizing trauma and consequent difficulties associated with them, and moral issues resulting from charitable interpretation
Both of these aspects of the project, though theoretical in nature, will help in carrying out SDG5, the strengthening of women’s position in society, in this case via the increased understanding of the epistemic and social injustices women are subject to and consequent practical improvements in personal relationships and social policies.
The results of the research at this point have been the following.
- Invited talk delivered at the University of Gothenburg. Additional talks were planned for the University of Edinburgh, the Ecole Normale Superiore (Paris) and ZAS/Humboldt University (Berlin), but had to be canceled because of coronavirus.
- Submitted talk at Amsterdam Colloquium, ILLC (Holland)
- Papers in preparation on slurs, epistemic injustice, gender, silencing and normativity.
The grant monies have been used on (a) materials including books and journals relating to gender, gender studies, and issues around gender, and (b) on travel expenses for travel to Europe in March 2020, where I planned to give five invited talks; four of these unfortunately had to be canceled due to border closures and cancelations due to coronavirus.